Disney’s The Lion King is loaded with memorable quotes that are funny, inspiring, clever or all of the above.
With the live-action film coming out, we want to shed a light on quotes by our favorite characters that make The Lion King the masterpiece that it is.
Here are 10 noteworthy quotes from The Lion King:
- “Well the buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot. And the baboons are going ape over this. Of course, the giraffes are acting like they're above it all... The tick birds are pecking on the elephants. I told the elephants to forget it, but they can't. The cheetahs are hard up, but I always say, cheetahs never prosper…” - Zazu
This quote from Zazu is an impressive series of animal puns. Although Zazu often gets the short end of the stick, he definitely deserves credit for this bit.
- “Well, as far as brains go, I got the lion's share. But, when it comes to brute strength... I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool.” - Scar
Scar is the master of double-handed compliments. His subtle shade is what makes him one of Disney’s slimiest villains.
- “Ah, you’re an outcast! That’s great. So are we.” - Timon
Timon is filled with sarcasm and sass but this quote shows he is also accepting of other characters like himself who don’t quite fit in and takes them in as family.
- “We’d love for you to stick around for dinner.” - Shenzi
“Yeah, we could have whatever’s lion around.” - Banzai
“Oh wait, wait, wait. I got one, I got one. Make mine a ‘cub’ sandwich.” - Shenzi
These guys may be evil sidekicks, but they do have a few solid lines that make us laugh like hyenas… get it?
- “It's times like this my buddy Timon here says: you got to put your behind in your past.” - Pumbaa
Pumbaa’s backwards version of Timon’s advice makes for a hilarious quote. Don’t worry Pumbaa, we get what you mean.
- “Look, Sometimes bad things happen and there is nothing you can do about it. So why worry?” - Simba
“Because it’s your responsibility.” - Nala
Yes, future Queen! Nala is not shy when it comes to letting Simba know what’s up and pushes him to think about returning to his kingdom.
- “Oh yes, the past can hurt. But, you can either run from it or, learn from it.” - Rafiki
Rafiki is a little kooky but he arguably gives the best advice of the movie: Learn from your past, no matter how hard it is. We’ll take a hit on the head with his stick for wise words like those any day.
- “Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the circle of life.” - Mufasa
Mufasa has plenty of wise quotes up his sleeve but this one causes Simba to really reflect on his actions and his duty as the rightful king.
- “Run. Run away, Scar. And never return.” - Simba
Simba shows his true values as a king when he offers Scar - the dude who murdered his father and tried to have Simba murdered as well - the chance to live, as long as he leaves the kingdom. Although Scar does not take this offer, we see the compassion, leadership, and mercy Simba will hold as king.
- “Hakuna Matata! It means ‘no worries’ for the rest of your days.” - Timon & Pumbaa
It’s been made into stickers, T-shirts, tattoos and everything in between. This quote has been one of the most iconic Disney quotes since the movie came out in 1994 and we don’t see it going away any time soon.
We’re super excited to see how the live-action film revives the quotes from this Disney classic. Which scenes are you most excited to see recreated in The Lion King (2019)?